Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Asterix and the Vikings

I'm going to start this blog by showing you some animation that I am particularly happy with. From 2003 to 2005 I had the privilege of working on the animated feature Asterix and the Vikings, which was produced at A. Film, Copenhagen, Denmark, and directed by my longtime friends and colleagues Stefan Fjeldmark and Jesper Møller.

On this movie I worked on the storyboards, did character and prop designs, and served as lead animator for the main characters Asterix and Obelix. Animating these guys was a real treat, especially for me, since the comic books played a significant part in shaping my life-long interest for drawing and art.


Here are some rough animation key poses from a scene with the two best friends arguing about whose fault it is that their troublesome holiday child, Justforkix, who was entrusted in their care, fled the Gaul village to the cold North and fell in love with the Viking chief's daughter.

At the bottom of this post you'll find a pencil test of the entire sequence, all animated by yours truly.


























Here is a pencil test of the entire sequence (1:01 in total):

2 comments:

  1. I said it then and I'll say it again; Truly great work, Dan!
    Jesper M.

    ReplyDelete